Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Need some suggestions.....

Ok guys and gals....a few years ago I was big into making fabric bowls and have all this fabric cut up waiting to be made into bowls. And now I'm into quilting, so I am not sure what to do here...
 
Here is a pic of my favorite bowl that I made. It is the size of a small petrie dish as it was made around it. There are watermelons, strawberries and small blue flowers and I absolutely adore it!
 
When I made my first one it was only 2 layers of fabric so it was VERY flimsy. This one has 4 layers...I think....
 
 
I absolutely loved making these bowls, just didn't follow the directions too well...I don't have a lot of patience. You need:
*modge podge *rubber gloves *1/2" craft paintbrush *protected work surface *and LOTS of 2" fabric squares in your selected color scheme.
 
 
What you do is take a bowl, any bowl, depending on the size you want your finished product to be. Cover it in saran wrap, and spray that with cooking spray. I normally have a working surface of some press and seal over some paper or cardboard so I can move it around...and so the modge podge doesn't stick the fabric to your table....
 

My patience is when you are putting the fabric on the bowl...you start on the bottom of the bowl and work your way down and onto the table to create a design you like and enough of the spikes to your liking. You are 'supposed' to wait 24 hours between layers...that is where I do not wait. I do all the layers in 1 sitting and then let it dry. You need a butter knife to get the fabric bowl off of the base, but if you try enough you will get it off. I then wait another day or 2 for the inside to dry. If you take it off before the outside is dry it may not form like you want. Then I just decorate with puff paint to add some pizzazz to the points.
 
So here is my dilemma....maybe you all can offer some suggestions for turning my bowl squares into quilting projects? I have all of this fabric and am not sure what to do with it...suggestions?
 


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment